Friday, March 2, 2012

Interview with author Mrs. Phyllis J. Burton

Please state your name and location. (city and State or Province, Country)

Mrs. Phyllis J. Burton:

Buckholt, Green Lane,

CHURT, Nr. Farnham, Surrey,

GU102LT, England.

Tell us the title and publisher of your book:

PAPER DREAMS was published by MATADOR (Troubador Publishing Ltd.)

ISBN No: 9781848767898 (Paperback) and 9781848768154 (ebook)

Tell us about yourself:

My name is PHYLLIS BURTON and I am married with three grown-up children and seven grandchildren. I live amongst the beautiful west-Surrey hills in southern England, which have given me the inspiration to write: I love putting my thoughts and those of my characters down on paper. I started writing for my children and eventually moved on to bigger things. Now, I read my stories to my grandchildren. I've written quite a few short stories, one of which was recorded and read on radio, and two short-listed in competitions. I’ve written three one-act plays, (one produced and directed by me). I love singing and enjoy water-colour painting. I painted the cover of my first novel (A PASSING STORM) and published by Trafford in 2006.

I’ve always had an insatiable appetite for reading, I tend to panic if I can’t find a book to read and like to think that this inspired me to write. My determination also seemed to rub off on to my elder son too: he will be publishing his second story soon. My daughter is a copy-editor and runs her own business. She copy-edited Paper Dreams of course.

Now that PAPER DREAMS has been published, I feel quite proud of it. Every author wishes their work to do well and I am no exception.

When was the book released?:

PAPER DREAMS was launched on the 1st December 2011. I held a Launch Party on the 2nd December which went extremely well and started off the run-up to Christmas with a bang – there were several blue balloons available for everyone!

Give us an overview of your book.

PAPER DREAMS:

“In 1952, GERALD HAPSWORTH-COLE has an affair with AMY BUTLER: she becomes pregnant and returns to Vancouver in Canada. Gerald is distraught.

It is now 2009 and the inhabitants of ANSTON are gossiping…

Elderly widow, MARJORIE has died intestate. The only heir is HAROLD HAPSWORTH-COLE, who is penniless, unstable and living in Malta.

KATIE NICHOLSON (a romantic dreamer) is sent to EPTON HALL, the rambling encestral home of the HAPSWORTH-COLE family, to catalogue the vast number of books collected by Marjorie following the disappearance of Gerald and their two sons in 1953. Whilst there Katie day-dreams about the old house’s history and the friendly, elderly housekeeper/retainer tells her: ‘…I was very young when I began working here…there’s nothing I don’t know about the old place.’

Wrong!

Katie finds a letter and a birth certificate in an old book in the attic. The letter is dated May 1953, proving that Gerald was the father of an illegitimate child, JAMES, living in Canada: another heir?

Meanwhile, Harold still believing that he is the sole heir, goes to the house in secret. Whilst there, he overhears Katie speaking on the telephone to her employer about the discovery of the letter. He is incensed. He steals the letter and birth certificate, locks her in the attic and leaves the house. Katie has to endure many hours alone in her creepy prison, but manages to find another unfinished letter from Gerald to Amy.

Katie is eventually rescued. She later discovers that James Butler is in hospital in Vancouver after a car accident and, together with boyfriend Stuart, she flies to Vancouver to meet him. Avaricious Harold, now dangerous and losing contact with reality also journeys to Vancouver.

He steals a gun!

Katie is talking to James, when Harold enters. A terrifying scuffle ensues, the gun goes off and Harold falls to the floor and later dies.

Katie and Stuart are later allowed to return home.

James and his wife Sarah, journey to England, but realise that they could never make it their home and after attending Katie and Stuart’s wedding, return to their family in Vancouver.

Epton Hall is sold.”

What inspired you to write this book?

I suppose it was quite like Pinocchio’s nose! It grew…it started with a seed (the thought of lost letters and love) and suddenly I had a rather good story. I used to love writing when I was at school and when later I had children of my own, I used to write stories for them – a truly rewarding experience. On a purely emotional and personal level, my father suffered enormously before he died and afterwards I found writing to be a wonderful distraction. I’ve been writing ever since. Another inspiration is the ever-changing view from my study window!

How is your book different from other books in this genre?

PAPER DREAMS is a unique reading experience, which plays with the reader’s emotions. It covers such diverse subjects as, old books, letters, family sorrow, obsessions, inheritance, greed, dreams (and nightmares) and eventually attempted murder. But above all, it is a story of people’s lives, their loves and how they eventually overcome adversity.

Where can people buy your book?

PAPER DREAMS can be purchased from:

Matador (Troubador Publishing) Ltd. – please contact Jane Rowland on

Tel. No: 0116 279 2299 (UK)

or email: marketing@troubador.co.uk

Distributor: Orca Book Services. Tel:01235 465521 (UK)

Or email: tradeorders@orcabookservices.co.uk

Lovewriting.com

Amazon: Paper-back and Kindle versions (see my pages on AUTHOR

CENTRAL).

All good retail outlets, such as WATERSTONES, W.H. SMITH amongst

others.

AuthorsDen.

And… Directly from my website: www.phyllisburton.com.

Are you working on another book? If so when do you expect it to be published?

Yes, I am part way through my third story: it has a provisional title of ‘WHAT NOW’. As I have only written five chapters, I feel unable to give a time for completion.

SARAH WENHAM is being eaten up with grief after ending her husband’s life by switching off his life support system. Months later, she meets two very different men: one who will love her unconditionally and the other who tries to dominate her with near disastrous consequences.

If you self published, what advice can you give to fellow writers?

I self-published PAPER DREAMS and the most important advice I can give, is to choose a company with an excellent record in self-publishing, such as Matador. I have enjoyed every moment of the publication process.

If published traditionally, tell us how you benefited:

Not applicable…

Can you share one of your marketing successes with us?

I have taken my book to various retail outlets and within the next few weeks will be holding one or two book signing sessions. The general feeling is that the cover of PAPER DREAMS is outstanding and should help to make my book marketable in the future. PAPER DREAMS has already received a five-star review on AMAZON.

How did you find Allbooks Reviews and what are you hoping for in your relationship with us?

In 2006/7 Allbooks Reviews (Elaine Fuhr) did an excellent review on my first book ‘A PASSING STORM’, so I naturally turned to you. I am of course, hoping that the excellent review given by Anthony Lund will help my current book to achieve success and from the comments I have already received, it should be considerable.

Was the low cost a surprise? What other things would you like Allbooks Reviews to offer writers?

Yes. In these days of rising prices in every walk of life, for Allbooks Reviews to remain so competitive is a really good thing. I can’t think of anything right now for your company to offer writers, but you can rest assured, I will contact you if I do.

Thank you for this interview and best of luck with your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment